Excellent family-owned media company…nice geographical location…a successful daily newspaper operation that is growing…AND WE NEED AN EXPERIENCED PUBLISHER. The Montrose Press is accepting applications and resumes for this opportunity in southwest Colorado.
The Montrose Press is an award-winning 6-day-a-week morning newspaper that is enhanced by the community’s favorite website, a local magazine and a powerful Total Market Coverage (TMC) product. In addition, the company has a sizeable commercial printing operation. We are actively engaged in our community and are proud that our architecturally appealing work place enhances the friendly environment for our staff and customers.
The operation is part of Arizona-based Wick Communications, now in its third generation of family ownership. Wick Communications is a family-owned community media company with newspapers, websites, magazines and specialty publications in 11 states. The home offices are in Sierra Vista, AZ, and publishes newspapers in Arizona, Alaska, California, Colorado, Idaho, Louisiana, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon and South Dakota.
Our current publisher, and a Wick Family member, is buying his own newspaper. His replacement needs to be a hands-on leader who will build upon past successes and provide the know-how and energy to take the operation to the next level. Expectations include:
- Provide the strategic insight and direction that positions our franchise to meet continually changing market and competitive conditions.
- Focus on team building and commitment for a competent group of managers.
- Find the right balance between near-term financial improvements and long-term franchise growth.
- Effectively coach/teach key skill sets, whether in advertising, budgeting, problem solving or any other facets of the operation.
- Bring a demonstrated track record of success in the sales and marketing areas.
- Be open to trying new things; embrace change and look at challenges as opportunities.
- Apply/expect creativity with products and services.
- Always uphold the foundation of journalistic integrity.
- Place a high priority and “champion” that you and your team are active, positive participants with civic and community events and activities.
- Be the role model for effective communications, listening and empathy, along with a strong work ethic.
- New media plays a dynamic opportunity in our industry, so we expect you to exhibit a “digital-first” attitude, and a “get it in the paper today” philosophy!
- Display an awareness and appreciation of local politics and the communities’ local history.
- A proven and experienced track record of overseeing a successful press/commercial printing operation.
This is a challenging, yet very rewarding opportunity. It’s not for shirkers, dreamers or those with thin skin. The successful candidate will likely have managed other community newspapers. A college degree in a related field, with industry or similar related training and experience is required.
Montrose, Colorado is a very appealing place to live and work, beyond its outstanding geographical and community aspects. If you like hiking, skiing, and other outdoors activities linked to the Colorado/mountain lifestyle, you’ll enjoy and thrive in the area.
- We offer competitive pay, performance bonuses, a 401K plan, paid vacation, a competitive health care plan and relocation assistance.
- Our contemporary administrative office and press buildings illustrate our appreciation of a good working environment and commitment to being a leader among our media peers.
- You will find competent, friendly managers and staff throughout the organization.
We expect to fill this position in the upcoming weeks, so urgency is important. Please apply ONLY electronically.
Please send a cover letter, resume and references, salary history and expectations to: David Lewis, Group Publisher, Wick Communications.