Position: Sports/News Reporter
Reports To: Managing Editor
Hours: 40 hours weekly
Nature of Work:
- Provides local news coverage with a focus on local school news, general assignment news and sports reporting.
- Research and gather information to write stories of local interest from throughout Montrose County, keeping a peripheral eye on big stories from Delta, Ridgway and other nearby jurisdictions.
- Develops story ideas for approval by managing editor.
- May be assigned multiple beats; is expected to cultivate and maintain contacts and sources within beats.
- Keeps supervisor apprised of story status at all times.
- A reporter also may be asked to paginate pages and take photos or video.
- Provide comprehensive local news and sports coverage by covering events, meetings and subjects as well as using enterprise and initiative to find important stories.
- Writes stories for publication; posts breaking stories on website immediately.
- Write news stories as assigned or agreed upon with editor.
- Provides high-quality photographs and or video for publication, when necessary.
- Cultivate and maintain excellent communications with contacts on assigned beats.
- Develop story ideas.
- Paginates pages as required
- Edit copy when needed.
- Assist in the planning of news/event coverage.
- Other duties as outlined by supervisor.
- May travel out of town to cover assignments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to travel to and from assignments.
- Strong and accurate communications skills.
- Excellent reporting and writing skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to use a computer proficiently.
- Must be able to work effectively and efficiently under deadline.
- Must have reliable vehicle with proof of automobile insurance.
- Must have valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Must work effectively with others, including news sources and peers.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts.
- Minimum one year experience. Will consider equivalent training or experience and/or proven academic achievement.
Computer experience required, knowledge of pagination software preferred. Photography/video ability helpful.
- This person will work in the office and in the field covering assignments.